Activating the Smart Queue
UniFi Security Gateway offers a Smart Queue option based on Fair Queuing and Codel which prioritizes traffic and reduces delays when the router/bandwidth becomes overloaded. Activating this option will give priority to all traffic coming in and out of Aircall over other applications on the network.
However, please note that activating the Smart Queue may reduce the maximum throughput (85Mbps for the USG, 250 for the USG-PRO) It is then strongly recommended to monitor the available speed with and without Smart QoS enabled.
- Go to your UniFi controller and select the Settings
- Select Networks in the blue tab
- In your network list, select the WAN network that you will be using for your VoIP service
- Scroll down to the Common Settings section and click on enable smart queues
- Perform the speed test build into the UniFi interface by selecting pre-populate (or by using any other speed test)
- Click on Enable Smart Queues and the fields "Up Rate" and "Down Rate" will appear. Click on Pre-populate to automatically set 80% of the Up and Down bandwidth.
- Click Save *Please note that this may restart your USG so we recommend that you perform this outside of business hours.
The QoS is now configured on the Security Gateway.
In order to make sure that traffic won't be blocked at the port level its necessary to open a specific set of ports:
Access your UniFi dashboard and navigate to Settings > Routing & Firewall > Firewall > LAN IN
Click on "+ Create a new rule" and set the settings to:
- Enabled: On
- Before predefined rules
- Action: Accept
- Protocol: TCP and UDP
- Leave the default settings in Advanced
- Source type: Address/port Group
Address group: create a new group named Aircall_IP with the type being Address and add the list of corresponding IPs to your country based on the below table:
- Port group: create a new group named Aircall_port and select Port in the Type option. Add the following ports:
- TCP: 443, 5349, 10194
- UDP & TCP : 3478 + from 10000 to 20000
- Destination type: Address/port group
- Address group: Aircall_Add
- Port group: Aircall_P
Finally, make sure to save these settings and you are ready to use Aircall as recommended! Now, your router is set to prioritize your Aircall communications. You can also perform a speed test on your network in order to monitor the resulting traffic.
UniFi Access Points and Switches
By default, The UniFi access points and switches will automatically map DSCP value to Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) priority. Voice is then automatically given the highest priority on these devices on no further changes are needed.
Still in need of assistance? Please feel free to reach out to our Quality Engineering Team, we'll be more than happy to assist.